Email me: lylewisdom@gmail.com

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Augmented Post

Sometimes I have more to say. Here is a previous post - expanded.



Jumping Chasms
The most dangerous strategy is to jump a chasm in two leaps. - Benjamin Disraeli



This is a great quote to remember for those who want to make change incrementally.



When I was ready to launch my first big application I suggested we ease into the program and run it concurrently with the existing system. The manager said no, we would convert Monday morning; throw out the old system and go with the new. I was scared to say the least. Monday morning I was there to field problems and provide under the gun training for the users. All hell broke loose - but it only lasted a few hours and by noon I went home. It was a great day. Not only did I have the satisfaction of knowing the new system worked but the conversion was done. Since then I've thanked the manager several times for the insight to not try to jump that chasm in two leaps.

No comments: