Email me: lylewisdom@gmail.com

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Augmented Post

Sometimes I have more to say. From a previous post:


We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on. - Richard Feynman 

We are not at the apex of knowledge on any subject.



When you adopt the point of view that a particular set of ideas are the pinnacle of thought it leads to some nasty habits like incessantly quoting that source, whether it be your chosen religious text or your favorite philosopher. As soon as you do that you have moved from reason into the realm of dogma which is reason enough to ignore everything you have said (or are going to say). These quotations are invariably presented with the implication that since the source is at the apex of knowledge on that subject and they said it, it must be true and since you quoted them you must be speaking the truth. Too big a leap for me - I'll just quit listening - thank you.


Sometimes people are amazed that I present quotes here from such varied sources as Homer Simpson, Hitler and Lao Tzu. It is not that I endorse their view of the world, it is because I find truth and thoughtfulness in one of their particular statements. I am not, and never will be, at the apex of knowledge. It is not the unattainable peak I seek but the climb, so I might see further. To adopt a particular set of words as the apex means you are stuck on what may only be a hill. Progress is a journey towards higher peaks - don't get stuck on a hill.

No comments: