Email me: lylewisdom@gmail.com

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Augmented Post

Sometimes I have more to say. From a previous post:

The deepest principle in human nature is the craving to be appreciated. - William James 

Hence the need to teach people to do things worth appreciating. "Love me for who I am" only works for a while without positive actions.

Beware of the argument you will encounter: "I could have done this ............ but I didn't." The implication is that the speaker should be rewarded/admired/praised because they could have done something much worse than what they did. Should you admire someone because they didn't rob a bank today? Hardly. Justifiable admiration comes from good deeds not lack of doing bad deeds. Then you have those who do nothing - should they be admired? Again, hardly. No more admiration is due than to the rock which sits on the ground rather than hitting you.

This argument generally crops up when someone has made a mistake. We all make mistakes but it is the action we take to rectify the mistake which deserves admiration.


No comments: