Email me: lylewisdom@gmail.com

Sunday, May 23, 2010

One Picture

You know, I've but one picture on my wall
That of my Grandmother
Who I never met at all

You don't see people like her today
No hunch of shoulder
No looking away


Original Sin she didn't know
No sign of guilt or shame
Even remotely show

She has unabashed open pride
Confidence in life
She doesn't hide

Determination is in her eyes
She could do anything

That's no surprise

Cause I've but one picture on my wall

That of my Grandmother
Who I never met at all



Yet I know her better than those
Who have bent my ear
With verse and prose



I've spent a lot of time under her gaze
She's kept me going

Throughout these days

None of which were as tough I'm sure
As those she met boldly
And did endure

I can see she is ready to laugh
The joke being on her

Or on her behalf


Gaiety is there ready to appear
Waiting to burst forth
With hearty cheer



She could dance with the best I'm told
Waltz or polka,
Slow or bold

I wish I could ask the next dance
(That I could keep up 

I'd have to chance)

And at the end I'd say thank you
For more than the turn
But for all you do


For all you've done by being there
To show me the way
That I might dare

For I've but one picture on my wall

That of my Grandmother
Who I'll never meet at all


- Lyle



No comments: